Geography develops pupils’ understanding of the world in which they live through the study of place, space and environment.
Whilst geography provides a basis for pupils to understand their role within the world, by exploring locality and how people fit into a global structure, Geography also encourages children to learn through experience, particularly through practical and fieldwork activities.
Through the teaching of geography, Witchampton CofE First School aims to:
· increase pupils’ awareness, knowledge and understanding of other cultures;
· foster pupil’s sense of wonder at the beauty of the world around them;
· develop pupils’ graphic skills, including how to use, draw and interpret maps;
· make pupils aware of environmental problems at a local, regional and global level;
· encourage pupils to commit to sustainable development.
Develop a variety of skills, including those in relation to problem-solving, ICT and presenting conclusions in the most appropriate way.
Links - please click to open